Pet Surgery at St. Paul
If your four-legged friend requires pet surgery, you’ll be comforted to know we offer advanced surgical techniques and technology to ensure your pet gets the best outcome possible.
Advanced Surgical Services
In addition to traditional surgical options, we offer advanced, progressive surgical techniques to best treat our patients:
- Electrocautery - In surgery, electrocautery refers to the use of a small probe containing electricity. The probe can remove unwanted tissue as well as seal blood vessels to reduce or halt bleeding. In addition to being a beneficial treatment option, electrocautery is completely safe with the use of a grounding pad.
- Cryosurgery - A safe treatment alternative to the traditional surgical approach, this technique, which utilizes liquid nitrogen or nitrous oxide, freezes unwanted tissue and consequently destroys it. It has proven to be very successful for a variety of skin conditions such as small tumors, cysts, skin tags, and other skin disorders, including some forms of cancer. The treatment causes the frozen tissue to fall off or dissolve, and sutures are usually not needed. This process may take up to 4 weeks, and fortunately, the pet experiences very little discomfort during this process. Another benefit is your pet may not have to be anesthetized, which is a very large benefit if your pet is elderly or more sensitive to anesthesia.
- Orthopedic/complex procedures - We have a variety of specialists that come to our hospital to perform more involved/advanced procedures including soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries, along with advanced imaging such as abdominal ultrasound and echocardiograms.
Points to Keep in Mind
- Do not give your pet any food after 8 PM the night before surgery (except for water).
- Arrive at the hospital by 8:00 the morning of surgery.
- Consent forms and procedure estimates must be signed.
- If your pet’s surgery requires anesthesia, we will recommend or require pre-surgical blood work for safety.
- Contact information for a responsible person available throughout the day must be provided.
- Discussion of any risks, possible complications, and recovery of your pet. Feel free to ask questions.
Feel free to call during the day to check on your pet’s status. The surgery team will call you with your pet’s status when they are in recovery.
Pet Surgery Recovery
For their complete recovery, your pet's care should extend after their discharge from our care. Please keep the following in mind, and don't hesitate to reach out with any questions:
- Follow the doctor’s instructions.
- Monitor your pet’s incision for swelling and redness.
- Prevent your pet from licking or chewing at their incision.
- Monitor your pet’s appetite.
- Maintain bandages and give medications as instructed.
- Return for follow-up as directed.
"I felt that Dr. Eric answered all my questions and offered all necessary information on vaccines and general care. He provided background information and details. I never felt rushed."
"We love St. Paul pet hospital!"
“St. Paul Vet is amazing. The office/vet staff are caring and obviously love animals. I recommend Melinda to everyone looking for a great caring vet!”
“Ono loves coming to the Vet and everyone takes great care of her! The staff is friendly and very helpful. ”
“I live in Irvine Park, very near downtown, and first came to St. Paul Vet because it was close. Continued bringing my cat because I am comfortable with this clinic and its vets and staff.”
“I just moved to the area from Portland Maine and it’s such a pleasure to find a great vet clinic in my new city. Thank you!”
“I am very grateful to have found you! I feel like my pup in finally in good, competent hands. Thank you.”
“Thank you so much for the compassionate, thorough and professional care. We couldn’t be happier.”
“Great clinic. I transferred her to this clinic because I recently moved to St. Paul. The most professional clinic I’ve ever been in.”
- Kelly S.
“Our young Pitbulls are prone to skin issues and Dr. Melinda is a wizard regarding such conditions. We’re forever grateful for the expertise and care that St. Paul Pet Hospital provides. Thank you for being amazing!"
– Ty B.
“Excellent new puppy first visit. Many questions answered throughly and patiently.”
– Shari D.
“We had a great experience! The reviews we read online prior to our visit definitely lived up to their expectations!”
– Chelsey T.
“I wish my own Dr called me 48 hours after my appointment to see how I was doing! Super impressed with that!”
– Emily J.
“I drive all the way from Blaine. But because of the care that Ruby receives from everyone in the office, I don’t mind the drive at all!”
– Kathi H.
“We couldn’t be happier with your service. You’re close, priced appropriately, cheerful staff and surrounding. Keep up the good work.”