Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning in St. Paul
A healthy pet has a healthy mouth. We are happy to help keep your pet’s mouth healthy with both professional cat and dog teeth cleaning and suggestions for at-home pet dental care.
Taking care of your pet’s teeth is about more than avoiding their bad breath. As shown below, the consequences of untended teeth can range from unpleasant to quite severe:
- Pain (from minor discomfort to a severe toothache)
- Difficulty eating
- Inflammation of the gums and jawbone
- Loss of teeth
- Additional risk of heart valve, kidney, and liver inflammation (due to infection)
What Does Pet Dental Treatment Involve?
- Most conscious pets will not allow treatment to the teeth, therefore dental treatment most often requires general anesthesia.
- Using an ultrasonic cleaning device and dental instruments, we then remove the tartar from your pet’s teeth.
- A full oral exam is performed, inspecting the teeth for fractures, chips, and other abnormalities.
- Depending on what we find, dental treatment can range from a simple cleaning and polish to more extensive treatments.
- As with human teeth, it it sometimes necessary to fill teeth or extract them.
When Does Your Pet Need Dental Treatment?
You should make an appointment for any of the following signs:
- Red gums on the transition from gums to teeth
- Easily bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Brown plaque on teeth
- Excessive salivation
- Loose teeth
- Chewing on one side
At-Home Prevention and Care
There are several things you can do to keep your pet’s mouth healthy and avoid extensive dental treatment:
- Give your pet special food formulated for the prevention of dental problems.
- Brush and polish their teeth regularly–daily is best.
- Make sure she has chew toys.
- Application of commercial preventatives.
"I felt that Dr. Eric answered all my questions and offered all necessary information on vaccines and general care. He provided background information and details. I never felt rushed."
"We love St. Paul pet hospital!"
“St. Paul Vet is amazing. The office/vet staff are caring and obviously love animals. I recommend Melinda to everyone looking for a great caring vet!”
“Ono loves coming to the Vet and everyone takes great care of her! The staff is friendly and very helpful. ”
“I live in Irvine Park, very near downtown, and first came to St. Paul Vet because it was close. Continued bringing my cat because I am comfortable with this clinic and its vets and staff.”
“I just moved to the area from Portland Maine and it’s such a pleasure to find a great vet clinic in my new city. Thank you!”
“I am very grateful to have found you! I feel like my pup in finally in good, competent hands. Thank you.”
“Thank you so much for the compassionate, thorough and professional care. We couldn’t be happier.”
“Great clinic. I transferred her to this clinic because I recently moved to St. Paul. The most professional clinic I’ve ever been in.”
- Kelly S.
“Our young Pitbulls are prone to skin issues and Dr. Melinda is a wizard regarding such conditions. We’re forever grateful for the expertise and care that St. Paul Pet Hospital provides. Thank you for being amazing!"
– Ty B.
“Excellent new puppy first visit. Many questions answered throughly and patiently.”
– Shari D.
“We had a great experience! The reviews we read online prior to our visit definitely lived up to their expectations!”
– Chelsey T.
“I wish my own Dr called me 48 hours after my appointment to see how I was doing! Super impressed with that!”
– Emily J.
“I drive all the way from Blaine. But because of the care that Ruby receives from everyone in the office, I don’t mind the drive at all!”
– Kathi H.
“We couldn’t be happier with your service. You’re close, priced appropriately, cheerful staff and surrounding. Keep up the good work.”